Partner With Us
Your Home-Care Agency pays thousands in marketing costs for new client acquisitions. You inevitably catch care-seekers in your marketing net who require services that either you do not provide, or services that they need but can’t afford.
Grandma Joan may have a solution that both helps the family in need AND compensates you for the lost marketing dollars spent on the acquisition of someone who you can’t service.
Sound interesting? Want to know more? Call David Petroski at 888.250.2631 x700 for a brief confidential conversation or click on the below button to fill out an inquiry form and he will call you.
Your marketing net catches our clients
Live-in care has gone from the sweetheart of the private duty industry to the profit graveyard. Since the FLSA took effect, more than 50% of all home-care agencies have dropped live-in care as a service offered anymore. We get it. We owned a home care agency many years ago, before the FLSA profit bomb went off.
Let us reimburse you for your lost $
Earn 10k-28k Per Referral to us
Make Profit From Leads That You Capture But Can't Service
We help agencies increase their bottom lines by:
1. Contributing thousands towards their marketing budgets.
2. Helping to convert an un-serviceable lead into a monthly revenue stream.
Curious about how it may work? Call David for a brief confidential conversation.
Call 888.250.2631 x700
Mon-Fri: 9am-6pm EST
Referrals Need to Meet 3 Requirements
They have a spare furnished bedroom
We only accept as clients, families that have a spare furnished bedroom for the live-in in their home. The candidates that we work with don't do couches, air mattresses or sleep in the same room as the care recipient.
The live-in can sleep well most nights
We only accept as clients, families that report that the live-in will get 5-8 hours of sleep on most nights. If that is not an option, then they can use your agency to staff the 11pm to 7am shift so that the live-in can sleep.
They have a care budget of 7k+ month. 8.5k+ in MA. 11k+ in CA.
What's nice is that the live-in will get about 92% of what the client pays them. The other 8% are the clients payroll taxes. Its how we attract the best talent across the country.